Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Diggit's CarTunes

I commute about 80 minutes/day. That of course gives me quite a bit of time to think and listen to music. I'll post who/what I've been listening to in the car here. My listening takes place in a variety of settings. In the car, hand-picked cd's play front to back. At work, Itunes scrolls through about 7,000 songs randomly every day. At home I've been listening to vinyl recently. I'm in the market for an ipod, taking a trip to San Francisco next month and will have one by then. I'm sorta bucking the ipod like I bucked the cd. Unfortunately, the itunes/digital revolution has really changed my listening habits. More on that in another post. Now CarTunes:

Tobin Sprout - Carnival Boy
Fresh from the classic GBV lineup, Tobey kills on his first solo shot. Released simultaneously with Pollard's, Not in My Airforce, this stands up track to track. Every song is top o' the lungs sing-a-long. Very highly recommended.

Tom Russell - Cowboy Real
My first Russell album. Still one of my faves. This is a collection of cowboy tales, as you might have guessed. I've often dreamed of being able to play these on my guitar, around a campfire, with a dutch oven of beef stew or chili, simmering over the fire. One of these days......Includes Gallo del Cielo - the best song about cock-fighting ever!

Jenny Lewis w/the Watson Twins - Rabbit Fur Coat
I've never listened to Rilo Kiley, but this solo shot by Jenny is great. Guests include M.Ward, Ben Gibbard, and Connor Oberst. Her voice sounds like a really fine white russian on this disc.

Steve Wynn & the Miracle Three - Tick, Tick, Tick
O.K. those who know me well, understand I've been a Steve Wynn fan since Days of Wine and Roses came out in what? 82 or 83? Steve's last 3 albums with this fab band have been scary good. Forget Pluto. Steve is the 9th planet in our solar system. If you ever have the chance to see this band live, do it I say. I saw them at Twangfest in St. Louis a couple years back, and I gotta tell you, it was one of the best 1 hour performances I've ever witnessed. Ask Beatle Bob.

Terry Anderson & the Olympic Ass-Kickin Team
Go straight to Milesofmusic.com and buy this. Now. Pay for next day air. You'll thank me.

Robert Pollard - From A Compound Eye (FaCE)
26 amazing songs. Arranged like a double LP, this one just kicks it. Absolutely makes me get over the end of GBV. Bobby Pop is perhaps the greatest living rock songwriter. The first of 5 original releases in 2006, ranks with the White Album and Double Nickels on the Dime as genre-shaking original. Pay for next day air on this one if only to hear every blissful 68 seconds of I am a Strong Lion as soon as you possibly can. I can honestly say I've played this 3-400 times. I have vinyl too, and it sounds soooo good.

No comments: