Saturday, February 20, 2010

I enjoy...


I've spent a considerable amount of my life surrounding myself with music. What do I mean by "surrounding" myself with music you ask? Let's make a list, shall we?


I enjoy listening to music

I enjoy reading about music

I enjoy discussing music with other people

I enjoy searching for music

I enjoy buying music

I enjoy a variety of styles

I enjoy alphabetizing music

I enjoy 45's, LP's, cd's, mp3's

I enjoy going to see music played live

I enjoy trying to play music on a guitar

I enjoy lyrics

I enjoy melody

I enjoy dissonance

I enjoy the artwork on the cover

I enjoy reading liner notes

I enjoy sharing music with others

I enjoy having others share music with me

I enjoy scouring ebay for lp's and 45's

I enjoy watching music-related movies


Sounds like a Tom T. Hall song.


On no other subject could I create such a list. What does this mean. I don't feel like an obsessive person. Except that I continue to buy everything Robert Pollard puts out on both digital and vinyl. I dream about finding Half Japanese's first lp release, a 3 record set, 1/2 Gentlemen, Not Beasts. I spend hours looking at you tube live music clips. I've read more books about music in the last two years than anything else. (Reading Fargo Rock City right now. A treatise on 80's Metal Bands and their impact on one young author and pop culture.) I'm listening to a live Bob Mould cd while I write this.
Honestly, I'm tired. My hobby could be the benefits of artificial insemination in Semmintal cattle. That would lead to a few less interesting conversations.

No comments: