Thursday, April 20, 2006

Air Waves

I'm in San Francisco for a few days attending the annual NERVES meeting. This is an organization of private practice and academic Neursurgery practice executives. The agenda looks very good this year and I look forward to seeing several people that I only see once a year.

I'm staying at the nicest hotel I've ever been to, the St. Regis. Tonight I ate at Ame restaurant here in the St. Regis. Grilled Halibut with olive and chickpea tompenade. Yummy.

This room has it all, dvd, plasma tv, ipod hookup, touch screen climate, lighting & shade control, a bath and separate shower. Even the terlit is behind a glass door. Sweet.

It was a very long day, a 3 hour layover in Dallas, DFW. (reminds me of the Jimmie Dale Gilmore classic, Dallas...have you ever seen Dallas from a DC-9 at night?). I started 2 books on the flight: Staring at Sound (Jim De Rogatis' Flaming Lips Biography) and The History of God by Karen Armstrong. This one is a comparative history of the 3 main monotheistic religions. I read about 100 pages of the Flaming Lips book. It's very informative and reads very fluidly. De Rogatis obviously admires Wayne, who wouldn't? I made about a 5 page dent in the God history book. Also listened to BTS' new cd again, You In Reverse. Its an instant classic. Very powerful and full of hooks. Also listened to Mercury Rev and 3 Flaming Lips lps. This is what the ipod is built for, long distance travel. I remember the old days of traveling to St Louis for a week each month, I would pack about 20 cd's in my briefcase for the trip. No longer.

I have quite abit of free time tomorrow and then not until Saturday afternoon/evening. I'll let the weather be my guide. Didn't see any good bands playing, aside from Dino Jr, who I just saw last week. Really want to spend half a day in North Beach. I loved that area of town when I was here with John Veltri a few years ago.

No comments: