Saturday, May 08, 2010

St Paul's is for soul salvage..






















.....9th street for my fennel and leek. A great line from Marah's Kids in Philly record, a Philly band and record that I like alot. Spent 3 nights in Philadelphia recently meeting with neurosurgery administrator's from around the country. With Mrs. C's company, stayed at the Four Seasons. The location was great, right on Ben Franklin Pkwy. The Art Museum is the western terminus of this mall, where the Rocky statue resides. We had just enough time to walk the mile to see it. We were able to "see" the Liberty Bell through a window and walk around Independence Hall. Otherwise, it was a busy meeting schedule. The two of us ate together the first night at Osteria, Mark Vetri's famed restaurant. (the award winning Vetri was booked 2 months out) Amazing meal. I had the suckling pig special and Amy had an asparagus lasagna. On Friday night we ate at the Fountain Restaurant at the Four Seasons which happens to be rated one of the top in Philly. Wow. Best lamb I've ever had. 4 of us at the table had the lamb and all said it was out of this world. Also had some oysters and foie gras. Big night. My gout is back. Oh well.


We did walk back from Independence Hall to the Four Seasons. That was a nice walk and we ducked into a couple of old ale houses. At a friend's recommendation we found Monk's Cafe. Another great spot. The back bar was cozy and friendly. Well worth finding if you ever travel to Philly. NO CHEESESTEAKS!!!!!! Argh. I really wanted to hit Geno's or Pat's. Didn't have the time. Wouldn't mind spending time in Philly to see more of the museums and history.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Sounds like a great whirlwind trip to Philadelphia. I live here and even I haven't been able to get to Osteria or Vetri yet!

Anonymous said...

I liked the "about beer" description on the Monk's Cafe website. Makes me thirsty. Mmmmmm. Beer. (J Stepp)