Thursday, March 18, 2010

Alex Chilton, R.I.P.



























I've spent a lot of time with this man's songs in my head. Chris Bell went a long time before him. I've been listening to the 3rd/Sister Lovers record lately. I only have this on vinyl. It's one of those records the evokes a place, a time and an emotion all at once. Needle drop. "Dreams and wishes and shooting stars..." Guitar riff. This album was really post Big Star, but in my opinion is Alex's masterpiece.

Amy and I saw Chilton open for Counting Crows(!) right when they first hit it big and were still playing club shows. This was at a short-lived place down on Shadeland here in Indy. My greatest memory of Chilton's set was his overt pandering to the ladies in the crowd. He looked old then I remember. Unfortunately, the pyschic trauma inflicted by Adam Duritz during the next set has erased any memory of what songs Alex played that night.

That's now 3 extraordinarily talented songwriters dead in the last 3 months. Vic Chesnutt, Mark Linkous(Sparklehorse) and now Chilton.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Amiable dispatch and this post helped me alot in my college assignement. Say thank you you on your information.