Sunday, March 12, 2006

Diggit's CarTunes

This week's CarTunes were:

Neko Case - Fox Confessor Brings the Flood
Neko plays her latest real cool. Short, succinct and confident. I can't think of a better American voice. Her appearance on Leno was perfect and it seemed like Jay was somewhat dumbfounded by her rockin performance.

Centro-Matic - Fort Recovery
I had pretty high expectations for the latest from these Texans. Redo the Stacks, their debut from the mid-nineties, makes my desert island list. Then I read that Patterson Hood called Fort Recovery a true classic. Well, I'm not there yet. I listened to it twice this weekend and its a fine album. I'm having a hard time getting past the fact that it sounds alot like the last 2 Varnaline records. (and I like those records) I'll definitely give this more attention in the weeks to come to see if I can find the hidden jewel buried within.

Roseanne Cash - Black Cadillac
Roseanne pulled together a classic here. This is basically a eulogy for Johnny, June & her mom, Vivian who all passed away within one year. But don't think dirge here. This is some heavy songwriting with a bent towards ultimate redemption. This record will easily make all the "best of" lists for 2006.

Lowe Profile - A Tribute to Nick Lowe (2 cd's!)
I love tribute records. I've always been fascinated by cover song choices that artists make. Some tribute collections can be a nightmare, but not this one. The subject, Nick Lowe, has written a handful of classics, and several albums full of songs a notch above 98% of the world. The ringer on this one is Foster & Lloyds take on Without Love. I think Johnny covered this one so you know its one of Nick's classics. Their subtle rockabilly take stands out. Other artists include Eric Ambel, Dave Alvin, Steve Wynn, Terry Anderson, Jamie Hoover, and Duane Jarvis.

Guided By Voices - Static Airplane Jive
I just bought this ep from 1993 off ebay and it came last week. Of course the reason to own it is for the lead song, Big School (One, two, big school). The anthemic chorus alone makes one dream of fronting a band. This is the type of record that makes critics so frustrated with Pollard. He starts off with a song that stands up to the best of all rock anthems, and then throws in a couple of off the wall head scratchers. O.k. by me, the man's a genius. Here's the lyrics to this great song:

Servant to master
Sinister bastard
All the worlds are Colliding all around you
Knowledge escapes you
Society rapes you
I've got my notebooks And I'm going back to
Big school
It's the big school
Now we're talking about the Big School

Now if I could free you
What would you be then
Look at my eyes through the telephoto lens
And notice the traces
Of faraway places
We're both driving my car back to the
Big school

No comments: